Thursday, December 17, 2015

Defrocked

On December 10, 2015, I received notification that my ordination was being terminated by the Shenandoah District Church of the Brethren.  This action was officially taken for my failure to support and abide by district and denominational policy regarding homosexuality and church leadership, and most notably for officiating the wedding of two women in May 2015.

This action has led me to this forum where, after a long hiatus, I am renewing and refreshing my blog.  I will be using this medium as a way of communicating to and with those who have an interest and a stake in this action and any subsequent actions, as a way of processing and reflecting on my feelings and thinking during this season of life and ministry, and as a means of engaging constructive conversations and dialogue regarding sexuality, relationships, marriage, and the church.  And perhaps other things along way. 

But for now, I share this open letter, offering my initial reflections in the wake of the termination of my ordination:


An Open Letter in the Wake of the Termination of My Ordination
First of all – to all those who have reached out to me, to my family, and to the Bridgewater COB in love and care, whether you are “with” me/us or not, I want to say thank you.  Your kind and thoughtful words are touching and deeply appreciated.  I want to assure everyone that I am OK, that I continue to serve in ministry in the Bridgewater COB, and that I was and am prepared to walk this road.  My ministry, nor this element of it, has ever been about me.  I am called to serve and speak and stand in solidarity with others.  I was and continue to be in a privileged position – both as a white, straight, American male, and as a pastor in a supportive, engaged, and faithful community.  I consider it an honor and privilege to stand with and on behalf of those who are not so privileged, and to do so in the company and fellowship of the Bridgewater Church of the Brethren. 

That said, I cannot deny the emotional and spiritual impact of my defrocking.  This is not the first time my ministerial credentials have been questioned or threatened, and therefore the wounds of this action run deeper than this moment.  I struggle with anger and sadness and grief; with feelings of betrayal by the church to which I have given my vocational life; and with increased pessimism about the future of the church and its continuing ability to witness to the good news of Jesus.  This is not easy by any stretch of the imagination. 
But nothing of consequence ever is.  So to those who have shared expressions of solidarity and support – friends and family, acquaintances and strangers alike – I extend my appreciation.  It is good to know that I am not alone.  Many have asked what they can do to be supportive, and to that, I ask that we all remember to speak and share our convictions and support with grace and peace, thoughtfulness and care.  In situations of perceived injustice, it is easy to become reactionary, and to blindly and quickly vilify and condemn those with whom we disagree.  But as a wise friend recently shared with me, “The best criticism of the bad is the practice of the better” (Fr. Richard Rohr).   I would hope that we can trust this to be our lasting and most persuasive collective witness. 

To those who disagree with my/our position and/or actions – both friends and strangers alike – I ask the same.  A few of you have been kind enough to contact me privately and/or directly, and for that I am grateful.  I do not shun respectful debate or honest confrontation and hard sharing.  However, I firmly believe that such sharing is best and most productive in a personal, direct, and relational context.  I deeply value those who care enough to engage in such difficult conversation, and I will do my best to honor all such efforts with the attention and respect they deserve.  While we may disagree, I do not hold all opposing viewpoints to be evil, hateful, or faithless, and I trust that most of you can do the same.
Finally, I feel compelled to offer a public word of grace for the leadership and members of the Shenandoah District.  Throughout this process, in the midst of these most difficult conversations, I have been impressed with the honest efforts of most of my sisters and brothers in the district to be respectful, thoughtful, and faithful; and to act with integrity according to their consciences, their discernment of the mind of Christ, and the duties of their offices.  I believe that most of my fellow Brethren in the Shenandoah district are motivated by their best understandings of the gospel, and while many of us have substantial disagreements about faith and practice, I hold no ill will for those with whom I disagree.  I covet your thoughts and prayers for the leaders of the District as they seek to be faithful in navigating these troubled waters.  Through my continuing witness and ministry, I hope to prove that the action to terminate my ordination was wrong, but even more, I hope to be a witness and catalyst for an inclusive, affirming, safe, and more faithful church for all. 
~Christopher W. Zepp
December 16, 2015

4 comments:

  1. Continue to share. Never know who it reaches

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chris,

    My name is Eric Reamer and I am a pastor at Buffalo Valley Church of the Brethren in the Southern PA district. I realize the importance of this issue and how much this decision has impacted you and how much impact homosexuality has had and it going to have on our denomination. I read your sermon from 2009 which you posted and I'd like to sincerely ask for some information. You say "As scientific evidence makes it ever more clear that sexual orientation is a given part of one’s biological and psychological identity, established in the womb or in very early childhood, we must recognize the significant difference between our modern, scientific understanding and that of the biblical writers." Could you please give me a couple of scientific studies that support your statement? I have read similar statements to yours but have not been able to find the bases for the statements.

    Thanks,
    Eric Reamer

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Eric, thanks for your comment. One of the weaknesses of these posted sermons of mine, especially now that they are over 9 years old (with the research supporting them completed during seminary nearly 10 years ago) is that I failed to document them. (I have since made it my practice to fully document my sermons as applicable). Therefore, while I know that this statement was grounded in my research and study for the original versions of these sermons in 2005-2006, I do not have memory of their exact source now. However, I can point you to a few online sources for reputable information:

    The APA (American Psychological Association) is one of the best, especially the sections on Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity (http://www.apa.org/helpcenter/sexual-orientation.aspx) and Sexual Orientation and Homosexuality
    (http://www.apa.org/topics/lgbt/orientation.aspx)

    Another good source is the Sexuality Information and Education Council of the United States (SIECUS)
    (http://www.siecus.org/)

    I will confess that as I have continued to evolve in my understanding of this particular topic, I would use slightly different language than this if I were to deliver these sermons today. I would bring more nuance to the difference between scientific and biblical understandings of sexuality, and I would either eliminate the phrase "established in the womb or in very early childhood" or add to it "...for some" or "...for many". Still, I believe the basic foundation of the statement holds -- that sexual orientation (and gender identity) are not so much choices, but rather given parts of our identity and make-up over which we have little, if any, control.

    Hopefully these resources are helpful. When I am back in my office at another time (I am currently writing from home) I could likely offer some more from my collection of hard-copy resources. So if these leave you still wanting more, let me know...



    ReplyDelete
  4. Eric, and anyone else who may be reading this-

    I wanted to share two more resources that have been recommended to me re: the scientific/biological and psychological background and basis for sexual orientation and gender identity.

    The first is Chapter "X and Y" (between chapters 7 and 8) in Matt Ridley's book "Genome: the Autobiography of a Species in 23 Chapters." It's from 1999, but gives a very succinct overview of the science from a genetic perspective, and the footnotes give reference to a number of specific studies on the subject, e.g. the study of over 100 gay men who were twins, which revealed that nearly 40% had a gay twin, with the rates differing for fraternal or identical twins -- considered clear evidence within the scientific community for some significant genetic basis for sexual orientation. (see especially p 116-117 and notes)

    The other resource is one that I have not personally explored, but which I ran across in my reading. The author (Ken Wilson, in "A Letter to My Congregation") named his frustration in being able to find a solid scientific book that could summarize the scientific research on the question of the complex role of nature in same-sex orientation, until he found this resource: "Born Gay: The Psychobiology of Sex Orientation" by Glenn Wilson and Qazi Rahman. London, UK: Peter Owen Ltd, 2008. I have found Wilson's insights and writing very helpful, and I feel confident in sharing his recommendation, though I cannot speak to it personally.

    ReplyDelete